Infrastructure Project Assessment Tool (IPAT®)
The IPAT® (Infrastructure Project Assessment Tool) is a common tool for infrastructure projects in Europe that can be used for ex ante and ex post evaluation of these projects, as well as for monitoring and benchmarking purposes. The objectives of the IPAT® are to assess 'the maturity' of a large infrastructure project, provide an indication to what extent a project delivery organisation is ready to enter its next project phase and to improve the project organisation. The tool builds on the NETLIPSE 2006-2008 research results, namely best practices and lessons learnt in the management and organisation of large infrastructure projects in Europe and was developed by NETLIPSE members in 2008-2010. There is also an assessor training programme developed to train potential IPAT-assessors to use and apply the IPAT®. Training applicants that pass the test are qualified to carry out an IPAT® assessment.
Main goals of the IPAT®
- to assess 'the maturity' of a transport infrastructure project;
- and to improve project organisations in order to best accomplish their objectives.
Figure: IPAT functionalities
IPAT® target groups
- Project delivery organisations: to increase the possibility of successfully executing a project, resulting in reduced cost overruns and time delays.
- Clients and funders: to understand the deliverability of a project by the project delivery organisation.
- EU, local governments and financial institutes: to monitor and evaluate projects (ex ante and ex post) in a systematic way.
- NETLIPSE and research institutes: IPAT assessment information provides insight into future research demands.
[click here to apply for an IPAT®]
The IPAT® consist of the following themes, to be researched for each project:
- Political context
- Objectives, Purpose, Business Case (value) and Scope
- Stakeholder Engagement and Communication
- Risk Management and Project Controls
- Organisation and Management
- Permits, Authorisations and Consents
- Contracting and Procurement
Figure: IPAT® themes